Thursday, September 15, 2011

Google Reader, RSS

Today's journey led me to Google Reader.  I always wondered how Google Reader worked.  I finally found the answer.  After setting up your Google account, you can easily set up a Google Reader.  Why would I want to do this? Google Reader acts as a feed collector.  It's a really easy way to gather information on current events or topics of concern.  For example, if I wanted to look up information to share with my students simply type in the topic and it then aggregates information for you.

Another interesting aspect of Google Reader is that because the site is linked to your Google account, information that is found can be shared by others on my chat room contact list.  Pretty cool!  What does this mean to me and how could I use this to benefit me and my classroom?  If I had all my students in my classroom on my chat room contact list, sites could be passed onto my students from me for their research assignments.  

I can see how this newly discovered tool, well new to me, could help my professional development.  Eventually, I would like to complete my master's program.  Utilizing this tool, to find information on research assignments would make going back to college a lot easier.  Instead of digging through numerous websites for up to date information, Google Reader would provide them to me from my search topic and from former to future colleagues on my chat room contact list.

Throughout today's adventure, I came across several neat sites that I found beneficial to my professional development and for future classroom activities and lessons.  I've provided them below along with a short description of why I found them interesting.

http://www.peterpappas.com

Peter Pappa's blog is well written and he has proven himself to be trusted in the field of education.  He has devoted 20 years in education.  His site provides insight for bettering our education system.  He does this by posting different ways of incorporate technology in the classroom.  One of his posts talked about skyping and digital story telling in the classroom.  I would love to read more about this and similar topics in his future posts.

http://mcornfirstgrade.blogspot.com

Melanie Corn has posted several videos and lesson ideas using SmartBoard.  I've noticed that many classrooms are now using SmartBoards. This is something would like to learn about.


http://primarytech.global2.vic.edu.au

Mrs. Kathleen Morris writes about integrating technology in the classroom.  The post that caught my attention was called, “Doing Things the Long Way.”  In her posting she writes about becoming aware of technology and how to use it efficiently in order to save time.  I’d like to read more about how she teaches explicitly to her students and encouraging them to share tips and new discoveries.

http://classblogmeister.com

This blogger uses his site to communicate with his students.  Mark Ahlness writes about projects that his students are currently working on.  He links sites of all his students in classroom twelve.  He is able to communicate with his students about assignments outside of the classroom. This blog is a great example of how to incorporate technology with students.

http://lovewhatyouteach.com

The blog had posted a site about Professional Learning Community, PLC.  I've only read a little about PLC, but the idea of working along side my co-workers in a community sounds exciting and well worth the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment